Sunday, June 15, 2008

Ode to a 2.5 week Daddy


I admit that during pregnancy I was nervous. There were signs. For example, Ben would get positively apoplectic when trapped in a baby store for longer than 10 minutes. He usually grumbled when I asked him to assemble some of the baby gear we got. He was horrible at feigning interest in the gifts we got at our baby shower. And sometimes he complained that having a baby would take away what little was left of his free time ( ok I did this too).

Ben has been a daddy for 2.5 weeks now and he still hates baby stores, baby gear and baby gifts. But there is no doubt in my mind that he loves every minute of being a father. He changes diapers, he watches her sleep, he invents games like baby spaceship and he makes a mean baby burrito. He gets her prescriptions refilled and he recently started compiling a list of questions to ask Susannah's future boyfriends. The first question on the list: Are you aware that Susannah's father is trained in martial arts?

My favorite part of all is how unselfconscious he is about it all. He proudly strolls down the streets of Brooklyn carrying Susannah in the Baby Bjorn. He tells all our friends who come visit all the gory details about Susannah's birth and if you ever have a question about how to be a good birth partner, ask him. He says aloud "she's so cute" at least 15 times a day and he doesn't get flustered or frustrated, not even when she projectile-pees all over the wall in the nursery at 3 a.m.

Sure it bothers me that he doesn't think she needs baths and I thought it was a little too soon when he took her off roading in her stroller at the Botanic Gardens when she was barely two weeks old. But he goes back to work on Tuesday and I get a little weepy just thinking about it.
He's the one that reminds me everyday through his actions that our first job as parents is to enjoy her everyday.

Thank God we are in this together, Ben. I love you. Happy Father's Day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're wiping tears after reading this. What a wonderful gift to get for Father's Day.

moon pie said...

Beth,

That was way better than the funny card I sent.

Susannah is SOOOO lucky in the parent division!

Grandma Moon Pie

Anonymous said...

crying in my cubicle!!! That was awesome. . .and I was thinking the EAXACT sane thing after seeing both of you with her!

Goddess Bride said...

There is no doubt that baby Susannah has her Daddy wrapped around her tiny finger. Ben, you are a wonderful father and I look forward to watching you and Beth just ease into parenting like you have so far. I love you both so much. Give Susannah a kiss from her Aunt Kelly.

Anonymous said...

Tears here!
Beth, this is a beautiful reflection....Can't wait to see such wonderful parents with their precious little one. Amazing how Susannah has changed in such a short amount of time!!!
Much love to all!

Anonymous said...

I agree the transformation from guy (as awesome as he may be) to Daddy is phenomenal. My Ben is the same way. He can't stand baby stores, baby gear, etc... he dresses Esther in the most random outfits (i came home yesterday to her onesie buttoned on the outside of her pants). But he is loves being a daddy. He tells her long rambling stories with no end, he makes up games with her, takes her exploring and bug poking...
so i gotta agree. "Yay Our Bens and Yay us."
-this is libby by the way.