Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Happy Day

A year ago today Susannah was in surgery, having her ureters reattached to her bladder. The months and days leading up to May 4, 2009 were filled with a lot of anticipation and fear. What if the surgery was canceled and we had to wait even longer; what if something went wrong during the procedure; what if it did not produce the outcomes we so desperately needed? It makes me a little sick to remember it all, even a year later.














But all I have to do to feel better is look at her now. She is so healthy, so happy and so mischievous. It's a privilege to be with her every day and watch her thrive. It's also getting harder and harder to take photos of her because she is always in motion!











We saw the urologist last week and everything -- sonograms, bloodwork, etc., looks great. We don't have to go back to see him for six months! We saw the lung doctor recently too and he said it was time to wean Susannah off of the inhaler she's been on since January. And I haven't called our pediatrician in so long that I've forgotten her phone number. (It is stored in my phone but I used to have it memorized.) Man, what a difference a year makes.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Moonpie said...

I was thinking about the events of a year ago too - and all the problems last summer that followed that surgery. You would never know by looking at this beautiful child that she had ever been sick! What a blessing she is, and how lucky she had you both for parents! Love GMP

Richard said...

I guess all this means that you're ready for another one. Get with it down there... We're so glad she is doing well.

Anonymous said...

I like the harmonica shot. Keep on rockin' in the free world, S.

-Ronnie

R and L said...

I'm just so happy to read this blog. I can't believe it has been a year. I am so proud of you guys, for all you have dealt with and still able to keep your head on straight and raise this most precious little peanut. She is just the cutest. I really cannot wait to meet her and delight in her 2-year-old presence. Happy days. Enjoy them and these almost-summer days. Miss you! xoxoL

Carly said...

When can we get the nuggets together? Orrin loves to dance but what a white boy! He definitely needs to groove with Lady S.
We miss you guys!
Carly