Wednesday, March 12, 2008

On Baby Blogging

Before I got pregnant I thought baby blogs were incredibly
narcissistic, right up there with bumper stickers on minivans that say
"My Child is a Star Student at [insert some crappy elementary
school]."

But then I got pregnant and my feelings changed. Lots of things change when you find out you are going to have a baby. You start obsessing over the thread count of crib sheets and you buy books with ridiculous titles like "The Baby Name Wizard" and one day you hear your husband say Pepperoni Nipples and you realize he's talking to you.

Anyway, when I first found out I was pregnant I was 100 % freaked out (whereas now I consider myself a healthy 45 % freaked out). One friend recommended that I check out these blogs of mothers she knew, and she was right. They were (and are) instantly soothing.


This one, http://www.aprileffort.blogspot.com , is written by my friend's niece. She and her husband have two beautiful boys. They are all vegans and live in a trailer park in Portland, Oregon. This one, http://stoplookingatmelikethat.blogspot.com , is by a fellow Prescott grad. She has an amazing little girl and they live in a cabin in the woods that her husband built. Moral of the story: there are thousands of ways to be a creative, loving parent. And babies are cool.

My favorite blog of all is by our friends, Ben and Anna, who live a few blocks away from us here in beautiful Brooklyn. They spent nearly two years trying to adopt two babies from Ethiopia. A week after they finally got their court date and bought their plane tickets to go pick up their babies, they found out that Anna was pregnant! Check out their story at http://youbettermakeitadouble.blogspot.com . The pics of Hilina and Saida are irresistible.

So, yeah, we are blogging, for our amusement and hopefully yours too. I'll let you know when I get my first bumper sticker.

2 comments:

Corinne said...

well, i see you've mastered the three point buckle system!!

Christy said...

Hi Beth, I'm the momma of the two beautiful boys of april effort. Melanie told me to check out your blog. I'm so excited for you guys. 45% freaked out is a good place to be right now. Good luck with the birth. It's pretty friggin hard, but the most rewarding experience you'll ever have. Lactating is super cool too, when my milk first came in, I seriously felt like a super hero. Now I've been doing it for over two years and can't imagine how I ever thought my cute little perky boobs were cool. These big ole magic milk making "pepperoni nipples" boobies with stretch marks are so much cooler. Not only do they nourish the boys, but this week I squirted that naturally antibiotic milk into a nasty oozing pink eye and cured it right up.
One of my best friends lives in Brooklyn and is currently trying to get pregnant. I just may send her to your blog when she gets that positive pee stick. Once you become a momma, hanging out with other moms and talking about poo is great fun. Go figure.