Friday, October 10, 2008

On to the Next Episode

Susannah seems more and more like her old self. She is laughing more, nursing better and her incisions are getting smaller and less scary looking. We've been using maxi pads to keep the urine from seeping out of the sides of her diaper and they are working really well. If anyone asks us what they are for though, we will just say that she is very mature for her age.

I even went to my class on Thursday afternoon. (Grandma Moonpie was more than happy to babysit.) I wasn't sure if I should go but I am so glad I did. My brilliant professor gave a lecture on Comedy and Tragedy. Apparently, comedy --serious comedy as well as funny haha comedy-- is about the continuing of life. The comic figure's main interest is in continuing. He comes up against chance, gets knocked down, and finds a way to adapt. He may be worse for the wear, but he recovers and moves on.

The point of comedy is you can plan until the cows come home, but it won't solve the problem at hand. An unknown fortune is coming at you, no matter what. Your attempt to control all of it is seen as funny.

Wit, imagination and thinking on one's feet are all typical of the comic character. It is an intensified version of what we (hopefully) feel in life.

So, basically, most of us are starring in our own comedy. I think that is a relief, don't you? If anyone wants to buy the rights to mine for a nice seven-figure sum, you should give me a call.

Here is Susannah this week with some of her favorite fans and favorite toys.


Finally she acknowledges the toys on the chair and smiles for the camera.
















She tolerates reading.


















The blue ring = five minutes of endless intrigue.









Anyone have ideas on where the furrowed brow comes from?















Nobody makes her laugh like her daddy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth, you are my hero for getting to class! Yes, the sooner we all realize that life is a comedy, the better. Especially after this week. See you all on Sunday night, we hope! Pat & Peter xo

R and L said...

Where did that hat come from? She is so precious. My goodness. I love your class topic. how fantastically appropriate and good for us all to remember. Now, is it weird for me to litter my apt with s photos?

Anonymous said...

Love all these pics and Beth's wisdom. Smart gal Susannah was to choose that Mom!

Anonymous said...

Baby S looks happy and healthy. Glad she's recovering well.

Beth, your class seems awesome and incredibly appropriate. If I follow your logic, its ok if I fail statistics this semester. What a relief.

Hope we can hang soon.

Uncle Ron

P.S. I miss Thursday night Thai food night! (no good thai around here).

Goddess Bride said...

Hurray for Susannah. She is so tough. Those pictures are adorable, and she looks just like you, Bethy. I hope you and Ben and Baby S are doing well, and having sufficient recovery time. Love to you all!!!

Aunt Kelly

Anonymous said...

She looks great!! Thanks for sharing your wisdom with the rest of us Beth!

Take care! xoxo, AShley