Sunday, September 13, 2009

Goodbye Summer

We have to be at the hospital in about six hours, and since I am awake I might as well blog. We expect the procedure tomorrow to be short and smooth. S will undergo anesthesia and they will be taking out the aforementioned stents. Not sure how long the "wait-and-see" approach will last but I hope it is for a while. She's really been thriving this summer, despite all the crap she's endured. Did I tell you all that she weighed 18 pounds, 10 ounces at the pediatrician's appointment, like, two weeks ago? That's more than a pound in about a month! Porky might be her new nickname, one that we would gladly bestow upon her.

In other news, I went back to school. I am taking one class, a nonfiction workshop, on Wednesday afternoons. I started last week. I'm really happy about it and feel like I won some kind of prize. (that is easy to say now, since I already finished my homework for the next class. Wait until I have my first big piece due and I'll be bitching all about it, trust me, you'll hear it.)

Anyway, end of summer photos. This is how we spent Labor Day weekend.



After an awesome brunch in our old hood with Pat and Peter, Ben and S and I hit Central Park. Reading material and a popsicle in the park is one of the city's great rituals, and Susannah is becoming a pro.
































The night before we were in Prospect Park for a picnic with the Thomases. We don't even try to get all the kids to sit still for a photo -- this is the best we can do.














Ah yes, the West Indian Day Parade. One of the largest parades in the world, and it happens every Labor Day, one block from our apartment. We got back from the Upper West Side in time for Ben to get a few end-of-the-line photos. Sexy, no?














The front is arguably even better.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Thanks for the updates and photos. Love the weight gain for S and you being taking a class! Thinking of you and Susannah today.

ben said...

hilarious!

Moonpie said...

Now know that Susannah is waking up from the last -how wonderful if it were the very last - procedure. More than anything I pray you guys can get on with a normal (?) life with this precious baby and all your other activities. Susannah rocks! Love you GMP

Moonpie said...

Forgot to mention how much I love that last photo of the lady in the pink and blue feathers. Now that is an outfit you're not gonna see in Chattanooga . . . and aren't we all the worse off for that! Hope Susannah is eating and playing and forgetting that she was just under anesthesia. LOve you all GMP

corinne said...

Love this glimpse of the goings on in the 'hood! Great to see Sus and her buddies - dad and daughter sharing a good read - tips for picking out just the right outfit for parades......A big Yea! for Susannah getting her stents removed and gaining weight!! One more Yea! for Beth getting a strong start with class! Much love, Great Tin